IAA Meeting 2016--Dallas/Fort Worth Pre-Conference


It's good to be back. Since the last time I updated the site, I've passed the board certification exam for ocularistry and moved to Las Vegas to manage Ocular Artists, Inc.  I'm enjoying this newfound freedom of working alone. Sure, there are days when I'm at the office for 10 hours and don't get a lunch break, but there are relaxing days as well. The point is...the days are less monotonous, and with less boredom comes more motivation. I've been doing lots of hikes around the area as well.

I'm currently in my way to the International Anaplastology Association (IAA) annual meeting. Unfortunately the flight's been delayed for several hours due to Dallas rain. Tomorrow is when the meeting actually starts, but rather than being able to attend one of the workshops I initially signed up for, I will be taking another board certification exam. I'll try and update throughout the meeting. I've only been to one IAA meeting before so this will seem like new to me too.


Yesterday's connecting flight was ultimately cancelled along with all remaining flights of the day to Dallas from my airport, so I rented a car and drove 100 miles before finding a hotel along the road.

A few minutes after leaving the airport (I just turned onto the dirt road to adjust the seats. The road I took was paved). 

A few minutes after leaving the airport (I just turned onto the dirt road to adjust the seats. The road I took was paved). 

I hit the road early in the morning after grabbing some food from the hotel's continental breakfast. I was still 200 miles away trying to get to an exam because the next chance I would have is in six months and that one's in the east coast. About three hours into the drive, I noticed I was passing all the cars on the right and suddenly saw the highway patrol from the corner of my eyes. The nice officer let me off with a warning after hearing the story, and I didn't even have to flirt :-)

So I finally made it to the hotel minutes before the exam started, valeted the car, took the exam, checked into the room, returned the car, walked back to the hotel, and went straight back to a photography workshop.

The photography workshop focused on clinical applications of digital photography. The speaker reviewed some basic terms, but what made this workshop worthwhile was seeing the demonstration of a clinical photography set up and watching him make parameter adjustments based on initial results. For an inexperienced photographer such as myself, the speaker provided a set of suggested settings we can start with, then showed us how to refine them to achieve even better results. Since photographs in the clinic is done for record keeping and reference purposes, the clinicians can keep equipment settings the same after initial calibration. It is the initial set up that will take up most of our efforts (unless we are doing this in a room with variable outside lighting).

Once the workshop ended, we breaked for an hour then headed to the opening reception. This year, the reception was decorated with various works of 3D printed art by SculptCAD Rapid Artists. I felt the artworks added a new dimension to the event and complemented the work we normally do. They were displayed alongside some of our sponsors specializing in medical imaging and 3D visualization and serve as a reminder that we are a special group skilled in both the art and the medical sciences.